Sunday, September 02, 2012

Ava Flemming Weekend

Ava Flemming, pic by S. Bowers

The one workshop I've been waiting on baited breath for finally arrived and I found the battery on the Jeep was completely dead 30 minutes before Ava Flemming's Friday night class. I hitched a ride and made it through class, despite another (and worse) round with an injured shoulder. The Husband Person said I looked, "like Batman," because I couldn't turn my neck side to side. Did I mention the Friday class was with veil? I'm pretty sure during my solo performance on Saturday I gave everyone a lip-quivering smile from the pain.  By the end of the workshop and show Saturday night I finally gave in and took a muscle relaxer from a fellow dancer. Miss Bee also poked and prodded my muscles a bit to release some of the tension. By the way, Ava's workshop, fantastic! Ava's performance...

EPIC!!!

I can't even begin to tell you how crazy awesome it was. I just don't have the words. Don't bother looking up videos of her online. Well, I mean, YES go watch videos of her but they don't even come close to what her live performance is like. I caught myself standing in the back of the room, mouth hanging open with my hands hovering in mid-clap while watching her.

Over a week later my shoulder still hurts. I am doing light stretches and being patient. It is improving but very slow. I milked that muscle relaxer for a week cutting it into eighths and taking it before bed. I don't have another show until Greek Night in November. I hope to be in better shape by then.

~N

Ava shows the workshop crowd videos of famous Turkish dancers.

Rule of thumb - The uglier it looks hanging on the rack, the awesome-r it will be when you wear it. Modeling a King of the Nile - Princess Farhana design.

Fun group shot, pic by S. Bowers

Doesn't get better than this, Ava Flemming.
(I'm mean look at my face! I'm batsh*t crazy about her at this point.)

10 comments:

Amy said...

I saw Ava at Art of the Belly in that costume to dancing to Roxanne. Did she do that because yes, epic performance. I think my mouth hung open for minutes. The shimmies!

Unknown said...

@Amy YES! It was the Roxanne performance. Her second performance was a more "traditional" oriental piece with veil and drum solo. Completely epic both times.

רקדנית בטן said...

love the top in the first photo! Ave Flemming is so hot! ;)

Kis said...

oh so jealous!
hope the shoulder is getting better and that you bought the 'ugly on the rack sexxor in real life' costume. it's cute!

Unknown said...

Alas, I did not buy the costume. Although I coveted it muchly. I'm saving my money to come visit you down under instead and stay in your extra room instead =)

Kis said...

I can understand why. It's OMG gorgeous!
Woo for travelling visitors! :D

Nyla Crystal said...

I love Ava and her amazing dancing. She is so down to Earth too :) I met her at Hiptastic in Chicago and she did this incredible "stretch Armstrong" like taqsim dance. I don't know how else to describe it. It was beautiful.

Ariel said...

I love your pink costume Naima!

Unknown said...

Thanks! It was designed by a friend and I've been slowly adding more and more bling.

Amanda said...

Nice Aricles. must share some thing Desert Safari Dubai Belly dancing.