Monday, August 29, 2011

Coin Wrap to Bedlah Sew Along Task 2: Build a Bra Base (Part 2)


I originally split bra building into 2 parts because I just did not have enough time to complete it by the post deadline. Well, I still haven't finished it. I had a full Bellydance weekend and time with the Husband Person. Building a bra wasn't exactly my top priority. There is another exciting development happening in my household tomorrow that has kept me busy but I'll won't spoil the surprise for that yet.

Part 2 of Task 2 is covering the bra cups with one (or more) layers of reinforcing fabric to give us a smoother and sturdier surface before covering the bra in base fabric. For this you can use interfacing, buckram, canvas, denim, felt, or an equivalent. I completed 1 of the cups before writing this post and I will complete the second before bed tonight. These photos should give you an idea of my progress thus far.

I used up all of the old shirt fabric in the side straps. To reinforce the cups I used denim from some old jeans. I have extended the bottom piece over the side strap giving the cup-strap connection even more stability.

Bottom of cup covered with denim using simple basting and all-purpose sewing thread.

Instead of using a dart I covered the top of the cup with 2 pieces joined in the middle so there would be no bulk under the seam.

Inside view, I chose not to overlap the cup edge with the denim. Overlapping at this stage is up to you and the type of "interfacing" you use. I will however overlap the edge when I cover the bra with base fabric.

View of cup's upper edge. The waviness will disappear as construction continues.

Stitching along lower edge of cup along underwire.

The covered cup is starting to hold a better shape already.


________________________________________________________________________

Supplies needed for Task 3: Cover Bra Base with Fabric (online Sept. 5th)

  • Base Fabric
  • All purpose sewing thread
  • All purpose sewing needle
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Tailor's chalk/fabric marker
  • Thimble

Want to see ALL of the pictures from my bra build? Check out the slide show below. You can join the Flickr Sew Along group and add your own at http://www.flickr.com/groups/bellydancesewalong/. I am so excited to see imposterpockets has already posted to the group page!

Next
Good luck and have fun!

~N

No comments: