Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Coin Wrap to Bedlah Sew Along Task 9: Decorating the Belt (1)

It's starting to come together.

Supplies:
  • Remaining coin wraps 
  • Sew-on acrylic gems
  • Sequins
  • Seed beads
  • Rocaille beads
  • Beading needle and Beading thread or equivalent (I use upholstery thread)
  • All-purpose sewing thread and needle
  • Pins
  • Fabric glue
  • Scissors
Decorating the belt will come in 2 parts just to spread it out a bit. I will repeat the design from the bra on to the belt. I added a bottom row of sequin trim and spaced out the acrylic gems along the belt followed by the bottom row of coin fringe from the hip wraps.

Getting things started with trim on the bottom and acrylic gems along the top.

Close up

More of the same

Cutting the rest of the coin belts into strips.

I trim the chiffon down to about 1 inch salvage around the crochet work.

Starting with the bottom layer of coin fringe to be placed on the belt, I pin on the fringe and mark where it needs to be trimmed (top photo.) I use fabric glue to secure the bead work where it will be cut. Once dry, I cut right down the middle of the glued section of crochet. I will stitch this row of fringe on and do the same for the second row.

More progress and pictures in coming in part 2 of decorating. Want to see ALL of the pictures from my bra build? Join the Flickr Sew Along group and add your own at http://www.flickr.com/groups/bellydancesewalong/.

~N

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A beautiful looking belt, and it is interesting to see the different stages. I made my own belly dancing skirt recently but am not sure I would have the time and patience for a belt as well. I like the choice of colour.

Unknown said...

I haven't always had the patience. But it is either be patient waiting to save up the money to by a costume or be patient and make one.