Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Big Show: Seven

Dancing as "Kindness" on stage at the Vandivort. Photo: C. Bryant

I had the pleasure of dancing in The Big Show: Seven, Phenomenon Studios Annual Student Showcase, a themed show that featured modern and fusion Bellydance performance for each of the the 7 Virtues and 7 Vices preformed on the Vandivort Theatre stage.  I was assigned Kindness as my theme.

It was such a treat to get to have a Bellydance based show on a real stage. At dress rehearsal we all chose the lighting sceme for our numbers. CHOOSE LIGHTING! Such a simple thing but so rare for our BD community to get to experience. Gary, the sound/lighting tech was very nice and supportive of our group. While I don't think he has had much if any exposure to Bellydance before he never once batted an eye or asked a condescending question. One of the most fantastic things about this themed show was how amazing and different everyone's song choice and performance was. Everyone appeared to have put a lot of effort and thought into their performances.

I really love backstage. I think I like being backstage more than on the stage. It is seeing where all of the secrets of the show are kept. The way the props are lined up and the costumes hung in rows. I like the reflective tape on the floor to show performers where to walk when the lights have dropped to almost pitch black. The Vandivort is a small modest theatre with tiny dressing rooms and old style floor lights along the stage front. Twenty dancers managed to share the tiny space with only breaking 1 light bulb during curtain call.



Pre-show warmup

Backstage


From behind the red curtain

Stage props for the current running production.

Dressing Room 

Hall of previous shows

Event photographer (and dancer) C.Bryant waiting for the show to begin

Surprisingly comfy chairs

It was at this performance of "The Chair Dance" (aka Lust) that I realized how incredibly challenging it is. It doesn't have just one but two props, (chairs and hats).

 Ananya and me chatting in the dressing room before the show.


~N

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It was an honor to share the stage with you, Nay-nay!

Unknown said...

You too! I don't think I could have done Patience like you did. Very inspiring!

Frankengirl said...

This looks very cool, and I love what you are wearing as well.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite a stage you performed on. I haven't been on a stage like that since my high school theater class.