The tag from my aptly named new project "Red Disguise."
I decided yesterday that I needed a new costume before Visioncon next month. It is probably a little masochistic of me to set all my other projects aside for a new one I cannot get done in time. I decided to throw caution to the wind and got started on one anyway. I bought a cheap red stretch velvet Halloween costume at a flea market a few years ago for under $5. I should have saved the picture on the package. It was called "Sexy Diva" or some other non-sense name as an excuse for soccer moms to dress in what they would normally consider "slutty" and it be "okay." A big chunk of stretch velvet is totally worth $5.
It looked something like this.
I cut the dress in half to cover a bra and make a fitted mermaid skirt bottom. I am using my junk scraps to construct it's parts because stretch velvet is very forgiving for two reasons. First, you can tug and pull it into place even if you did not cut it perfectly. Second, it's fuzzy texture hides most stitching mistakes.
An old bra butchered until only cups left. Side straps made out of 2 different pairs of old jeans stitched together for strength. Sometimes I use layers of felt and interfacing but I had the old denim lying around. It works just as well.
Frankin-bra, I'm not sure if I should be ashamed to show you this picture or bursting with pride. Bra cups covered with felt, denim side straps attached, sloppy style 'cause no one will every see this again.
Bra covered with stretch velvet.
Elastic basted into waist band until I figure out how I want this to fit. I am going to try to make cut outs on the sides.
I have already begun to bead the bra. I do not plan on it being terribly fancy or complex made from cheap material and left over parts. We will see how this goes.
Now: I am a Multitasking Master
mood: a shower