Monday, July 20, 2009

Choreography Extravaganza (aka Over full turkey plate)

I know I said I would post about costuming. I do have new costuming stuff in the works but I don't really have much to show for it. I have taken my scissors to a perfectly good dress and cut it in half but I ran out of thread and I am left with a pile of butchered fabric and loose bra cups at the moment. And, butchered fabric photographs like, well, butchered fabric.

I also said I would post the next week's review for the Artist's Way. We had an extended time for chapter 4 which lasted 2 weeks but I was posting a week behind the current week so it would be a review not a week in progress, and now I'm getting chapter 6, which puts me at week 5 to review, but I don't think I've posted week 3 or 4. Wait...what?

In the meantime, I've filled my BD choreography plate a like it's Thanksgiving and I didn't leave any room for the pumpkin pie. Zivah kindly reminded me that Hips Noir is coming in October and asked if I'd be dancing in the show. My answer,

“Yes!”

which really means:

“FF**********CCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK! That's in 3 months! I haven't thought about that since May!"

Luckily, I already have music picked out and staging ideas. However, I've called in the troops (my Mom) for help with costuming because this year's costuming is even more critical than last year's...



if you can imagine


Every time I try to practice with the idea of “Tribal Fusion” in my head, I just stand in front of the mirror and frown a lot. If I think “Performance Art” things seem to go a lot smoother.

Speaking of Performance Art, I have officially begun work on a choreography piece that I've wanted to do for quite some time now. It is not a BD piece, but you go with what you know, right? It is approximately 15mins worth of music that requires 4 plus dancers. Very ambitious for me. I have a 6 month deadline and dancers already lined up for a weekly practice.

To top it off, I literally have 4 weeks before the Bazaar and Workshop on August 15th. I should be working on this since it is the closest performance on the calendar. Instead, I am focused on the one 6 months away, followed by Hips Noir (go figure). I have picked out my music, good o' fashioned oriental music, and I'm not so much choreographing it but listening to it for those key points of awesome so I can dance something cute and intended, making the rest of the song more of a nice walk through of it's cuteness.

For those of you who like math, that's around 25mins of choreography I piled on my Thanksgiving turkey plate. BD'ers out there already know what a pain a song over 4mins can be to work out (especially in time for performance). Can we say, “Overly ambitious?”

~N

Now practicing: Articulated head slides. For real. Like a confused chicken.
Mood: ketchup on everything
Today's fortune cookie: “Keep it simple, stupid.”

2 comments:

Frankengirl said...

OMG thats a lot to do. Hips noir, they're great. Good luck with everything, don't die of exhaustion.

Brittney Laleh Banaei said...

Kay I'm totall stalking your blog tonight ;P 25 min is a lot, but if anyone can bust it out and do it right, that'd be you, yo.